- This event has passed.
MWC SPOT Group
June 21, 2016@12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Peer support group for MOMS and caregivers of teens, (12-26) struggling with mental health or substance abuse from crisis to aftercare whether they are home, in a residential program, or transitioning home. Parents can connect with other parents, find resources, learn to manage their child’s needs without sacrificing their own, or the needs of their family, and discover they are not alone.
- SPOT group meets Tuesdays at 12pm
- If you are interested in attending, please EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CONFIDENTIALITY Those who attend, names mentioned, & stories shared stay in the group & are not discussed outside the group.
- ONE PERSON TALKS AT A TIME No interrupting or side conversations. Give everyone an opportunity to share.
- PUNCTUALITY & ATTENDANCE Facilitators are committed to start and end on time. Do your best to arrive on time and attend as often as you are able so you can benefit from the group. Relapse & crisis happen in isolation. Recovery happens in community.
- PATIENCE & TOLERANCE Use words that convey mutual respect. Don’t try to change or minimize anyone’s feelings. We are in different stages of the process, so what may be relevant for you may not be relevant for others.
- USE “I” STATEMENTS Focus on owning, addressing and sharing your feelings and experiences. ACTIVE & REFLECTIVE LISTENING Our goal is to listen and not to rescue, give advice, judge, console, or criticize.
- SHOW RESPECT & BE OPEN Everyone is on their own journey with their own unique experiences. Try not to judge, criticize or make assumptions.
- EMOTIONAL RELEASE ENCOURAGED It’s healthy for parents to have a time when their feelings don’t have to be put on hold. Parenting can be demanding and frustrating. We’ve made mistakes, been disappointed and faced hard times. Parents need opportunities to cry about past failures, rage about injustices, and laugh about the scary moments.